Greative Dialogues. With Marianna Goulandris of Marianna G Swimmwear.
Just before September knocks our doors, and leaves start to fall down, we still have great reasons to dream about the summer. I couldn’t find of a better excuse than an amazing swimwear line, made by an ambitious young Greek. I discovered the beauty in her designs accidently while surfing on the internet and what immediately impressed me in her line is that each style takes its name from an island that has sentiment to Marianna. Inpired by the beauty of Greece and its ancient history, Marianna G Swimwear uses superior quality fabrics from Italy and a range of hard trims from France and Portugal to create overwhelming bathing suits. Below you will find her interview that she gave to Portraits Of Elegance. Enjoy!
- POE Is this your very first collection?
MG Yes this is my first swimwear collection, launching in 2013.
- POE Which are the elements that inspired you concerning your collection?
MG I am inspired by many things and continue to look for inspiration wherever I go. My Greek heritage and the time I spend in Greece have a huge impact on my work. The colours of the islands, the designs of the ceramics, the clothes and ancient Greek armour are all represented in my collection.
- POE Is there somebody in your life that influenced you in entering the world of fashion? How has he/she inspired you?
MG The main influence I had in the fashion world was my mother. She was my idol as I was growing up as she always had a great love for fashion that affected me immensely. As I grew up, I saw how elegant she looked and I knew that fashion was something that I wanted to create for women.
- POE How have your studies in American IU in London and in the Marangoni Institute evolved you as a designer? Do you believe that the studies or the experience in living abroad has had a deeper impact on your collection?
MG My time at college was essential to my becoming a designer. When at the American IU I learnt to channel and develop my creative abilities. Training as a stylist at the Marangoni taught me a great deal about the fashion industry as a whole. The swimwear course I completed at London College of Fashion was invaluable notonly for its content, but also for the variety of students I met there who ranged from young girls to older women, some of whom had already started their businesses and could share their advice, knowledge and experience of the industry. I also gained an appreciation of construction, performance and the technological aspects of swimwear. Of course you cannot underestimate the significant influence my time spent on the beaches in Greece in a swimsuit has had on my design ideas!
- POE Did you have an internship? Where? How do you evaluate this experience?
MG No, but I appreciate how valuable the experience can be. Whilst setting up Marianna G I have met a great number of people who have worked in a wide variety of roles within the fashion industry and I have gained essential knowledge from them.
- POE Do you believe in role models?
MG I believe that it’s important to be influenced by people to a certain extent, however the strongest role model you can have is yourself as there is nothing more interesting than being yourself.
- POE Who are the designers you admire and why?
MG I think the main designer I admire is Calvin Klein as I love the continuity in his collections and how everything is kept so elegant and simple.
- POE What fabrics and materials have you used in your latest collection?
MG We are using superior quality fabrics from Italy, including a matt athletic, aslinky lightweight and a glamorous foil. We have also used a range of hard trims from France and Portugal.
- POE Any plans for e-shop?
MG We have launched our website, and will upgrade to e-commerce at some time in the future. For the moment our main focus is on building a great business with our retailers.
- POE Is a store in Greece included inyour future plans? Where particularly?
MG It’s something to consider for the future, but building the business with the retailers in Greece is most important right now.
- POE Have you considered yourself going beyond the swimwear? A womenswear line?
MG We have already developed a ready to wear line for 2013 that compliments the swimwear and I intend to develop this much further over the coming seasons.
- POE Three essential things that a woman should need to know
MG A woman should know her body shape and enjoy developing her own individual style. A woman should be confident in her opinions and not be afraid to speak them. You don’t always have to accessorise your swimwear – sometimes a good (and safe!) tan is enough!
- POE The Euro crisis has created a lot of fear, intimidation and scepticism especially in Greece. Is there on optimistic side for you? Do you have hopes for our country in the future?
MG I am fundamentally an optimist and have strong hopes for the future. We Greeks are a resilient people and we’ll get through this together.
- POE Your life quote…
MG ‘Be true to yourself’